Making flatbread is the oldest way of making bread. You can find flat bread all over the world. Naan in India, roti in Suriname and pitas in the Middle East.
Flat bread is often made from flour and water (and sometimes yeast), but we are going to make this flatbread (no yeast) with self-raising flour and (Greek) yogurt (read more about a vegan version in the recipe).
So in this flatbread recipe we only use two ingredients! It’s also a well-known trick for easy pizza dough: self-raising flour and Greek yogurt. The big advantage: you don’t have to let the dough rise.
You can also use vegetable yogurt instead of Greek yogurt, but your flatbread will be a bit stiffer.
How do you make flat bread? You mix the self-raising flour with yogurt with a fork. Note: it is a sticky dough!
Brush your hands with a little oil and divide the dough into 6 balls. Roll out each ball nicely into a flatbread. We make our flat bread a bit naan-shaped, like a flat oval.
Fry the flatbread in a frying pan with oil. Depending on the size of your pan, you can fry several at the same time. The flatbread will rise during baking. Fry them for a few minutes per side.
How to Make Self-rising Flour
Do you not have self-raising flour? You can easily make self-raising flour from flour with baking powder. You use 1 packet (2 tbsp) of baking powder on 4 cups (500 grams) of flour.
In this recipe, we work with 2 cups (250 grams) of self-raising flour, so use 2 cups (250 grams) of flour and half a packet (1 tbsp) of baking powder.
Homemade Hummus Recipe
- 2 cups self-raising flour (250 grams) or 2 cups of flour (250 grams) + 1 tbsp of baking powder
- ½ cup Greek yogurt (200 gram) or vegetable yogurt
- olive oil
- Mix the self-rising flour and Greek yogurt with a fork or hands to a nice dough. Warning: it is sticky!
- Use some (olive) oil or extra self-raising flour on your hands to make it less sticky.
- Divide the dough into 6 balls and roll each ball into a nice flatbread.
- Fry the flatbread in a frying pan with oil. Bake them for a few minutes per side. Serve with a tasty dip like hummus, enjoy!
As Amazon Associates and members of other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 41Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 1mgSodium 264mgCarbohydrates 4gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 1g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix
PIN THIS RECIPE