This is a truly magical frozen vodka drink: it changes color! It is a cocktail with vodka, but you can easily make a mocktail (without alcohol) – the color changing spectacle is sure to be a hit with children. The secret color change ingredient will most likely surprise you, read on!
With our rainbow recipes we try to make the world a little more colorful and accepting from the kitchen! Will you help? Share your creations via #rainbowrecipes.
Red Cabbage Juice?!
Admittedly, it sounds a little crazy: a red cabbage cocktail? But before you think ‘yuk’, I’m going to convince you!
We are going to boil the red cabbage in water with sugar and rosemary. The color of the red cabbage comes off and colors the water. When we pour the red cabbage, we collect the water and use it for our cocktail with vodka! We make a slush by freezing this juice and stirring every 30 minutes. Because of all the other flavors (and because it is a frozen cocktail), you hardly taste the red cabbage in the end.
You can also make this recipe with butterfly pea tea, but this is more difficult to obtain in Europe.
Why do we use red cabbage juice? Red cabbage is a pH indicator. This means that the color changes in an acidic or base environment. If you add a pinch of baking soda to the purple red cabbage juice, the juice will turn bright blue. When you add lemon juice to it, it turns bright pink!
How do you make the cocktail? Add 40 ml of vodka to 4 glasses. Then scoop each glass full of slush and squeeze half a lemon over each glass so that the color changes. Serve with a slice of lemon and / or rosemary.
Make It A Mocktail
This is also a fun alcohol-free cocktail! You can easily leave the vodka. Toss in a splash of lemonade. Keep in mind that the acidity can change the color!
This recipe has the colors of the bisexual flag: blue, purple and pink. We share 30 recipes for each day of June (Pride Month). Together we can make the world more colorful and accepting from the kitchen. Help and share your creations via #rainbowrecipes! View more rainbow recipes on our website!
Frozen Vodka Drink
- 300 gram chopped red cabbage (10.6 oz / 1 ½ cup) or butterfly pea tea
- 100 gram granulated sugar (3.5 oz / ½ cup)
- 1 twig rosemary
- 1 liter water (4 cups)
- 2 lemons
- 160 milliliter ice cold vodka (⅔ cup)
- Fill a pan with the red cabbage (or butterfly pea), sugar, rosemary and water. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain and collect the colored cooking liquid in a metal bowl or pan. Immediately put this in the freezer and stir every 30 minutes. Red cabbage and butterfly pea are pH indicators. You can make red cabbage juice blue by adding a pinch of baking soda. Depending on the temperature of your freezer, your blue/purple slush will be ready in 3-5 hours.You can also use an ice cream maker, or thicken the cooking liquid and toss with ice cubes in a blender.
- Pour 40 milliliters (1.35 fluid oz) of vodka into 4 chilled cocktail glasses. Fill the glasses with the blue/purple slush. For the color spectacle, squeeze half a lemon over each frozen cocktail. Red cabbage and butterfly pea are pH indicators. It is not magic the frozen vodka drink turns pink when an acid is added; it's science!
- Serve with a lemon wedge and rosemary. Cheers!
PIN THIS RECIPE