WARNING: This vegan cauliflower wings recipe is super addictive. We can’t get enough of it!
These roasted cauliflower wings from the oven, air fryer, or BBQ are so delicious that you can make it for lunch, as a snack, and for dinner! And you can bet your guests will be impressed when you serve them these vegan cauliflower wings.
They’re super flavorful, crunchy, a little spicy, and finger licking good. I was never a fan of cauliflower, but if you prepare cauliflower this way, you can hardly go wrong.
In this cauliflower recipe, we tell you exactly how you can make these cauliflower wings too. Perfect for the barbecue, in the oven, or with an air fryer!
Do you eat gluten-free? No problem! Then use chickpea flour or rice flour for a gluten-free recipe.
Serve these vegan chicken wings with tasty (homemade) vegan mayonnaise, yogurt dressing, or ranch dressing. It is the perfect vegan version of Buffalo wings!
BBQ Cauliflower Wings Ingredients
What do you need for this cauliflower wings recipe?
As a snack or side dish for 4 people you need the following ingredients: 1 cauliflower, 1 cup vegetable milk or water (240 milliliters), and ¾ cup all-purpose flour (95 gram).
You also need the following spices: 1 tablespoon of garlic powder, 1 tablespoon of onion powder, 1 tablespoon of (smoked) paprika, ½ teaspoon of salt, and ½ teaspoon of black pepper.
Do you eat gluten-free? Then use chickpea flour or rice flour instead of flour for a gluten-free cauliflower recipe.
For the BBQ sauce, which you will cover the cauliflower in, you will need the following ingredients: ½ cup vegan BBQ sauce (120 milliliters), 1-3 tablespoon honey or agave syrup (to taste), 1 tablespoon sriracha or tabasco (if you like spicy), and 1 knob of vegan butter (optional).
Adding the vegan butter or plant margarine to the sauce makes the sauce extra creamy and gives it a buttery taste. But you can also omit the butter if you wish.
Preparing the Vegan Cauliflower wings
When you have all the ingredients at home, you can start making the cauliflower wings!
First preheat the oven or barbecue (indirect heat) to 400 °F / 200 °C. If you want to make the vegan cauliflower wings in an air fryer, no need to preheat. Do grease the air fryer basket.
Wash and cut the cauliflower into florets (the size of small chicken wings). Then mix the milk or water, flour, and spices (garlic, onion, paprika, salt, pepper) in a bowl until it’s a smooth batter.
Dip the cauliflower florets in the batter, make sure they are covered in batter. Shake off excess batter, so there’s no batter dripping from the cauliflower florets.
Roast the cauliflower florets in the oven or on the BBQ for 20 minutes until al dente. This only takes 15 minutes in the air fryer. Make sure to flip cauliflower florets halfway through.
Make the BBQ glaze by adding the ingredients to a saucepan and warm the glaze on the stove.
These are the following ingredients: ½ cup of BBQ sauce (120 milliliters), 1-3 tablespoons of honey or agave syrup (to taste), 1 tablespoon of sriracha or tabasco (if you like it spicy), and optionally 1 knob of butter or plant margarine.
Take the roasted/baked cauliflower florets and brush them with the glaze. Roast/bake the cauliflower wings for 5-10 more minutes until the glaze has caramelized.
Oven Baked Cauliflower Wings
Oven baked cauliflower wings? Super delicious! If you use an oven for this vegan cauliflower wings recipe, and bake the cauliflower florets on a grid lined with baking paper.
Optionally you can use the grill setting of the oven.
Roast the cauliflower florets in the oven for 20 minutes, turn them over halfway through.
Vegan Buffalo Cauliflower Air Fryer
Do you have an air fryer? Then you can also make these vegan cauliflower wings in the air fryer. We really love our air fryer and prefer to make as many recipes as possible with it.
In the airfryer you fry the cauliflower for 15 minutes until al dente. Make sure to turn them over halfway or shake the basket.
Also amazing to make in the air fryer: vegan apple turnovers!
Vegan Cauliflower Wings BBQ
Are you going to barbecue and do you also want some vegetables on the BBQ?! We definitely recommend eating vegetables while barbecuing. Roasted cauliflower is very tasty.
You can also make these BBQ cauliflower wings on the BBQ. This way you immediately have a vegan BBQ recipe!
Roast the cauliflower wings on the barbecue for 20 minutes. Place the BBQ cauliflower wings in indirect heat, so not directly above the fire. Turn them over halfway.
Serving Your Cauliflower Wings
Serve the roasted cauliflower wings with barbecue sauce, or a vegan ranch dressing. You can make it yourself or buy it ready-made.
These vegan cauliflower wings are delicious as a snack or as a side dish during dinner.
Enjoy this cauliflower recipe! Hope you like these vegan cauliflower wings as much as we do!
- 1 cauliflower
- 1 cup vegetable milk or water (240 milliliters)
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour* (95 gram)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon (smoked) paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup vegan BBQ sauce (120 milliliters)
- 1-3 tablespoon honey or agave syrup (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon sriracha or tabasco (if you like spicy)
- 1 knob of vegan butter (optional)
- Ranch dressing
- Preheat the oven or BBQ (indirect heat) to 400 °F / 200 °C. If you want to make the vegan cauliflower wings in an air fryer, no need to preheat. Do grease the air fryer basket.
- Wash and cut the cauliflower in chicken wings-size pieces.
- Mix the milk/water, flour, and spices (garlic, onion, paprika, salt, pepper) in a bowl until it's a smooth batter.
- Dip the cauliflower florets in the batter, make sure they are covered in batter. Shake off excess batter, so there's no batter dripping from the cauliflower florets.
- If you use an oven, bake them on an oven rack lined with a baking sheet. Optionally: use the grill of the oven. Roast the florets on the oven or BBQ (indirect heat) for about 20 minutes. Flip halfway through. For the air fryer, it'll take only 15 minutes until the cauliflower is baked al dente.
- Make the BBQ glaze by adding the ingredients to a saucepan and warm the glaze on the stove.
- Take the roasted/baked cauliflower florets and brush them with the glaze.
- Roast/bake the cauliflower wings for 5-10 more minutes, until the glaze has caramelized.
- Serve with ranch dressing, enjoy!
*you can use chickpea flour or rice flour for a gluten-free cauliflower wings recipe!
As Amazon Associates and members of other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 352Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 14mgSodium 923mgCarbohydrates 63gFiber 6gSugar 31gProtein 9g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix
PIN THIS RECIPE