When I first ate a poke bowl, I was sold right away! Poke bowls are so delicious. Not only that, but they also look beautiful and are often packed with fiber and vegetable proteins.
Traditionally, raw fish is central to a poke bowl recipe, but we make this vegan poke bowl recipe with tofu and lots of other tasty ingredients. We’ll also tell you exactly what a poke bowl is and where it comes from.
What Is Poke Bowl?
Poke means cutting into slices or cross-cutting into pieces and a bowl, well, is a bowl. A poke bowl is therefore a bowl with sliced ingredients. This dish originated in Hawaii and is now known all over the world.
In Hawaii, it has been a traditional dish for centuries, but in recent years it has only become hip worldwide. There are even restaurants now that only serve poke bowls. Poke, by the way, is pronounced as a poh-keh.
The original main ingredient of a poke bowl is raw fish, supplemented with vegetables and sticky rice. We replace the raw fish with tofu, but you can also choose tempeh.
Typical poke bowl ingredients include avocado, soybeans, and cucumber. The great thing about a poke bowl is that there are no fixed rules attached to it. So you can put ingredients in your poke bowl that you like. Do you like seaweed? Put that in your bowl (as we do in this recipe)!
And also nice about a poke bowl: there is not much cooking involved. Of course, you have to prepare the rice and tofu, but the rest is just cutting. Read on to learn how to marinate tofu.
Vegetarian Poke Bowl
This recipe is both a vegetarian poke bowl recipe and a vegan poke bowl recipe. The ingredients we use are: sushi rice, tofu, spring onion, avocado, mango, radishes, soybeans, cucumber, seaweed salad and sesame seeds.
As a dressing we make a sauce of vegan mayonnaise, lemon juice and chili flakes. If you like spicy food, put a lot of chili flakes in it.
Tofu is a perfect meat substitute and is made from soybeans. If you’ve never prepared tofu yourself, it can be quite difficult to prepare tofu. Especially since tofu tastes like “nothing” itself.
It’s the best thing to marinate tofu. Tofu takes flavors well, which is perfect. But how do you marinate tofu best? In our blog post, How to Marinate Tofu, we describe in detail how to do this best, but we will also describe it briefly below.
Tofu is packed with a lot of moisture. Before you start marinating the tofu it is useful to get all that moisture out of the tofu. This can be done by draining the tofu, dabbing dry and/or by wrapping the tofu in a kitchen cloth and putting something heavy on top. You can also buy a special tofu press to squeeze the moisture out of the tofu.
Now that all the moisture is gone, the marinade can be better absorbed. And if you poke holes in the tofu with a fork, the tofu can take the marinade even better!
For our poke bowl recipe we marinate the tofu with soy sauce, red pepper, garlic, ginger and agave syrup. Leave the marinated tofu for a moment, so that the tofu can absorb the marinade completely. After that, the tofu is ready to be (stir) fried.
TIP! Try our vegan rainbow Buddha bowl too!
How to Make a Poke Bowl
When the rice is cooked, the tofu is fried and all the vegetables are cut, then it’s time to put the poke bowl together! You do this by first placing rice in the bowl and then decorating with the other ingredients.
- 1 ¾ cup sushi rice (400 gram)
- 1 ¾ cup firm tofu (375 gram)
- 1 avocado
- 1 mango
- 2 spring onions
- 1 cup soy beans (200 gram)
- 1 ⅓ cup seaweed salad (125 gram)
- ½ cucumber
- 8 radishes
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds, roasted
- ⅓ cup soy sauce (90 milliliter)
- 1 chili peper
- 1 clove of garlic
- 0.6 inches ginger (1.5 centimeters)
- 2 tablespoon agave syrup
Poke Bowl Dressing
- 3 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- chili flakes
- Drain the tofu. Wrap the tofu in a kitchen cloth and place something heavy on it (for example, a cutting board and books), let it sit for 10 minutes. This allows the tofu to absorb the marinade later. Read more about tofu and how to marinate tofu on our blog.
- Prepare the rice according to package directions. Let the rice cool when it is ready.
- Meanwhile, prepare the tofu marinade. Finely chop the chili pepper (with or without seeds), press or chop the garlic and peel the ginger and chop finely. In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, agave syrup, red pepper, garlic and ginger.
- Remove the tofu from the kitchen cloth and cut into cubes. Poke holes in the tofu with a fork (so the tofu can absorb the marinade even better). Mix the tofu with the marinade and let it sit for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the spring onions into rings and the radishes and avocado into slices. The cucumber and mango can be cut into cubes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the tofu over medium heat. Fry in about 8 minutes. The tofu should be slightly brown on all sides.
- Prepare the poke bowl dressing. Mix the vegan mayonnaise with the lemon juice and chili flakes (at your discretion, if you like spicy food, add a lot of chili flakes).
- Divide the rice over four bowls. Then place the avocado, cucumber, mango, soybeans, spring onions, radishes, seaweed salad and tofu between the four bowls of rice. Top it off with the sesame seeds, the spring onions and the dressing.
As Amazon Associates and members of other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 730Total Fat 40gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 28gCholesterol 25mgSodium 2211mgCarbohydrates 67gFiber 11gSugar 26gProtein 35g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix