Making your own apple pie is a breeze. This Dutch apple pie is without egg and milk! Making vegan apple pie isn’t as hard as you might think.
You don’t have to buy any difficult egg substitutes, and we promise you: this vegan pie tastes absolutely as good as our grandma’s classic Dutch apple pie.
Dutch Apple Pie Without Egg and Milk
What apple pie ingredients do we use for this vegan apple pie? Self-raising baking flour, margarine (note: buy lactose-free margarine), sugar, soy milk, apples, and raisins. So that’s only 6 ingredients!
Did you know that you can cover the pie with soy milk instead of egg to make the cake shine nicely golden brown?
And of course, we also use cinnamon and a pinch of salt. To give the apple pie dough something ‘extra’, you can add a pack of vanilla sugar.
Baking vegan apple pie was never this easy!
Best Apples for Apple Pie
The best apple pie apples are Elstar apples! Ideal for baking (nice and firm, not too wet) with a sweet and sour taste.
The classic apple pie is made with fresh, sour Goudreinet (Dutch apple) or Jonagold apples. But these apples contain a lot of moisture and that makes for a wet bottom.
If you want to use these traditional apples, make sure that you sprinkle vegan breadcrumbs or custard powder on the bottom of your apple pie, or mix cornstarch through the apple pie filling.
Apples with peel or without? Most vitamins and fiber sit in/just below the skin, so with skin is healthier (and faster). But you’ll taste it a little bit. We didn’t like it any less!
Apple Pie Without Sugar
If you want to make a healthy apple pie, it’s an idea to make an apple pie without sugar. Of course, you can always reduce the amount of sugar, but a pie should of course be sweet.
Healthy sugar substitutes include palm sugar or coconut sugar, which can be replaced 1 on 1. You can also use stevia, but because stevia is much sweeter than sugar, we recommend using 1/4 of the sugar amount.
Tips for Vegan Apple Pie Dough
The dough doesn’t really get very smooth, that we’ll honestly admit. But that really doesn’t matter for the final result.
If you divide the dough into three parts, you can divide a part over the bottom, part over the sides and one for the wisps on the top.
We simply press the apple pie dough in the baking tin with our fingers. That works the easiest and fastest.
Our top tip for dry soil: prick some holes in the bottom with a fork before you put the apple pie filling in the baking tin.
So the dough is fragile. To make nice strips on the top, it is useful to make nice round balls first. Then you can roll out the balls to strings without breaking the dough – you may need to practice a few times.
Put the round strings on the apple pie filling and press, so the strings become a flat bar. So don’t press the kitchen top first!
Apple Pie Crust
- 2 ¾ cup self-raising flour (350 gram)
- ⅞ cup vegan butter (200 gram)
- ¾ cup sugar (150 gram)
- 3 tbsp soy milk
- pinch of salt
- 1 pack vanilla sugar (8 gram) (optional)
Apple Pie Filling
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2.2 lb kilo apples (± 5 pieces, 1 kilo)
- ⅔ cup raisins (100 gram)
- Grease the baking tin and preheat the oven to 360 °F / 180 °C
- Well the raisins in warm water
- Mix the margarine, sugar, baking flour, soy milk, sugar, and salt. Knead the dough and form a large ball. Refrigerate for 15 minutes, covered with plastic wrap.
- Wash the apples. Optional: peel the apples. Most vitamins and fiber are in / just under the skin, so skin-on is healthier. But you can taste the skin a bit, we like that.
- Cut the apples into cubes, add sugar, cinnamon and the drained raisins.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator and divide into 3 parts (1x bottom, 1x sides, 1x strips for the top).
- Line the baking tin with ⅔ of the dough. Prick holes in the bottom with a fork (this will make the cake less wet). Fill the lined baking tin with the apple mixture.
- From the last part of dough, you make 8 beautiful round balls that you can roll out into a string. The dough is not very elastic, so it can quickly disintegrate if you do it differently.
- Place four strings horizontally on the cake and press. Place the other four vertically on the cake and press down. If necessary, you can also press the sides of the cake.
- Brush the cake with soy milk for a nice brown shine and put the cake in the oven for 1 hour. Let the vegan apple pie cool down for a while, otherwise it will fall apart quickly. Enjoy your meal!
You can also add nuts to the apple pie filling. Walnuts, almonds, or hazelnuts.
As Amazon Associates and members of other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 426Total Fat 17gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 43mgSodium 556mgCarbohydrates 67gFiber 4gSugar 36gProtein 4g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix
PIN THIS ARTICLE