This is a really healthy breakfast: rainbow chia pudding with superfoods! Or with fruit. In this chia pudding recipe we share the basis of a tasty chia pudding and how you can make it even healthier with superfoods.
With our rainbow recipes we try to make the world a little more colorful and accepting from the kitchen! Will you help? Share your creations via #rainbowrecipes.
Chia Seed Pudding
Making chia pudding is very simple, you only need (vegetable) milk and chia seeds as a base. Chia seeds are rich in omega 3, balance your blood sugar and are high in protein. When you mix chia seeds with a liquid, the seeds develop a jelly-like structure, which provides a feeling of being full.
For the taste, it is nice to add a sweetener and a flavor like cinnamon to your chia pudding. It’s easiest to prepare your chia pudding for breakfast the night before, so it can rest in the fridge long enough.
Chia Pudding Coconut Milk
Use your favorite (vegetable) milk for this recipe. You can add a nice coconut flavor to your chia pudding by using coconut milk! But almond milk is also tasty. Or make it nice and creamy with cashew milk.
In this recipe we make an inclusive Pride flag with superfoods; a rainbow with black and brown stripes on top. These layers represent inclusivity and diversity, unfortunately there is still a lot of inequality within the LGBTQ+ community. You can of course choose in this recipe to use only the traditional rainbow colors.
What are superfoods anyway? Superfoods are said to have all kinds of positive effects on health due to their high content of good nutrients and antioxidants. However, this is not (always) scientifically substantiated. Below we tell you which powders we use and why!
Tip: you can of course make orange, green and purple by mixing red, yellow and blue! So you can use beet powder, turmeric powder and blue spirulina to make all the rainbow colors.
Activated charcoal is one of the latest superfood trends. This charcoal provides detoxification and absorbs and removes toxins in your body (hello black poop). Please note that activated charcoal also absorbs and removes good substances!
You can make delicious chocolate chia pudding by adding some cacao powder! Cacao is full of protective antioxidants and contains many minerals, especially magnesium. Cacao lowers bad cholesterol and blood pressure, so it is good for your heart.
For the red layer, we use beet powder. Did you know that you can easily make beet powder yourself? Beetroot is the ideal supplier of vitamins and minerals. These red tubers are almost fat-free and low in calories. They are also full of potassium, folic acid and antioxidants at the same time.
But you can also use pink pitaya powder or another red / pink superfood powder.
Goji Berry Powder
Goji berries are red/orange berries that are very good for your immune system! They are also full of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They improve blood sugar levels and seem to increase fertility themselves.
One more for your immune system! Completely powerful in combination with ginger powder. Turmeric helps against fever, infections and digestive problems.
There are really a lot of green powders. We use a nice mix including spirulina, kale and wheat grass. But you can also use matcha powder, chlorella or spinach powder.
Blue Spirulina Powder
We made the mistake of thinking that all spirulina is blue. Spirulina itself is a green powder, but it contains an algae phycocyanin which is bright blue. Nowadays they can take this substance out of the spirulina and then you have bright blue spirulina powder!
Spirulina is full of Omega3 and contains a lot of natural proteins!
You can also use butterfly pea powder, a blue powder that turns purple when you add something acidic!
Açai berries ensure good intestinal function and stimulate the metabolism. Now the powder form is different from the berry itself, because it is naturally processed.
An alternative is maqui powder, which is made from the maqui berry and is also purple!
Make Fruit And Vegetable Powder
You can also make color powders yourself! For example, you can make yellow lemon powder, orange carrot powder or other colors with vegetable pulp. You must first let the vegetables / fruit (sliced or pureed) dry completely, you can do this with a special dehydrator, or simply in your oven on the lowest setting. Then you blend it all the way into powder.
Fuit Chia Pudding
You can also make this rainbow chia pudding with fruit instead of milk and superfood powders! Use our rainbow smoothie as a base and add ½ tablespoon of chia seeds to each layer!
Check out more rainbow recipes on our website! We create 30 recipes, a recipe for every day of Pride Month. Together, we can make the world more colorful and accepting, from the kitchen. Help and share your creations through #rainbowrecipes!
Rainbow Chia Pudding
- 200 milliliter vegetable milk ¾ cup
- 3 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup or other sweetener
- pinch of cinnamon
- beetroot powder or pink pitaya powder
- turmeric powder
- blue spirulina or butterfly pea powder
- activated charcoal optional
- cocoa powder optional
- goji berry powder optional
- chlorella or spirulina powder optional
- acai powder optional
- Mix the milk, chia seeds, agave syrup and cinnamon and stir well. Tip: blend it in the blender, broken chia seeds provide even more health benefits.
- Divide the mixture between 8 cups (or 6 if you are making the traditional rainbow colors) and mix each cup with a pinch of superfood powder until you have the desired color. Note: the color will lighten as the chia seeds absorb moisture.Tip: with red, yellow and blue you can make orange, green and purple.
- Place the cups in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours. Do you want to have breakfast with chia pudding? Then put it in the fridge overnight.
- Stir the chia pudding again and stack the colors in 1 glass or bowl. Serve tasty with some fruit and nuts.
- You can also make your chia pudding in 1 glass right away. First mix the milk, agave syrup and cinnamon. Pour over 8 (or 6) glasses and color each glass with a superfood powder.
- Take the purple color and add ⅜ (or ½) tablespoon of chia seeds to it. Stir for 2 minutes. Take a glass in which you want the rainbow chia pudding and pour in the purple layer. Put the glass in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Then mix ⅜ (or ½) tablespoon of chia seeds with the blue mixture, stir for 2 minutes and pour over the purple layer. Put the glass in the fridge again for 10 minutes. Repeat for the other layers. After the last coat, let it rest for at least 3 hours in the refrigerator.This method is more work, but it makes the layers nice and clean!
PIN THIS RECIPE