The Dutch love bread so much; many people say they cannot imagine life without bread. We’re no different. When Maartje and I are traveling, we sometimes miss a tasty Dutch sandwich. Especially if this Dutch (vegan) sandwich is a rainbow sandwich!
For our rainbow recipe series we make a cheerfully rainbow vegan sandwich. We make the different colors by using different fruits and vegetables. Did you know that you eat more healthy substances if you eat more colors of fruit and vegetables? So it is not only fun to eat the colors of the rainbow, it is also healthy!
With our rainbow recipes we try to make the world a little more colorful and accepting from the kitchen! Will you help? Share your creations via #rainbowrecipes.
What do you need for this healthy sandwich? You can vary endlessly with fruit and vegetables (and herbs) combinations to make a rainbow sandwich. Of course, you need bread first! We use red onion, red cabbage, avocado, cucumber, lettuce, mango, yellow bell pepper, orange bell pepper, tomato and roasted bell pepper.
Carrot is also a tasty addition and jalapeños if you like spicy food! But spinach, sweet potato or herbs such as basil, mint or spring onion are also tasty additions. Just what you like!
This healthy sandwich is completely vegan. Perfect as a vegan lunch or vegan breakfast. We want to show that vegan spreads are so much more than just hummus and peanut butter. Although we never get hummus-bored with our different hummus variations in the colors of the rainbow (without food coloring)!
Nowadays, there are so many options for vegan sandwiches. As a sauce on this healthy sandwich, we use vegan mayonnaise. If you don’t like mayonnaise or don’t want to use mayonnaise, choose a different sauce.
If you do not want to make this healthy sandwich completely vegan, for example because you are not a vegan yourself, you can of course use normal mayonnaise or add a slice of cheese to this healthy sandwich. But nobody gets worse from eating animal products every now and then!
Check out more rainbow recipes on our website! We create 30 recipes, a recipe for every day of Pride Month. Together, we can make the world more colorful and accepting, from the kitchen. Help and share your creations through #rainbowrecipes!
Rainbow Sandwich (The Best Vegan Sandwich)
- 4 slices of bread
- 1 red onion fried, in rings
- 2 tablespoon red cabbage boiled
- 4 tablespoon vegan mayonaise colored with blue spirulina
- ½ avocado
- ¼ cucumber
- 2 leafs lettuce
- jalapeños optional
- ¼ mango and/or yellow bell pepper
- ¼ orange bell pepper and/or carrot
- ½ tomato and/or grilled red bell pepper
- Cut all ingredients into slices or strips (if possible).
- Mix the mayonnaise with some blue spirulina powder (or blue food coloring) if you want to make a blue layer. If you don't like mayonnaise, you can of course use a different sauce. Our (blue) hummus for example!
- Top your sandwiches with the colors of the rainbow! You can make different combinations depending on your chosen ingredients. Enjoy your meal!
PIN THIS RECIPE