We have already made many rainbow recipes such as rainbow cookies, rainbow pizza, rainbow smoothie and even rainbow mini pancakes! And of course a (vegan) rainbow cake cannot be missed. It takes a bit of time to make the rainbow cake, but luckily it’s easy! It is one of our favorite cake recipes and super fun as a birthday cake. This beautiful rainbow cake will steal the show on any occasion!
In this vegan rainbow cake recipe we will tell you exactly how you can make such a beautiful rainbow cake!
With our rainbow recipes we try to make the world a little more colorful and accepting from the kitchen! Will you help? Share your creations via #rainbowrecipes.
Vegan Rainbow Cake
This recipe is completely vegan if you use vegetable milk and butter (also in the frosting).
NOTE! Make sure you also use vegan food coloring and sprinkles. For example, “normal” food coloring often contains carmine (= not vegan), for the red color. And many cake decorations contain glazing agents such as beeswax (E901).
How cool is it to make a vegan cake in the colors of the rainbow ?!
How to Make a Rainbow Cake
Making a rainbow cake is not difficult, it only takes a while, because you have to bake several layers of cakes. If you have multiple cake pans, it goes a lot faster. We definitely recommend this. If you have three cake pans, you can bake three layers at once in the oven. Under the heading ‘converting contents’ we will tell you more about different cake pans.
What do you need for this rainbow cake recipe? To make the cakes you need (vegan) butter, sugar, (vegetable) milk, self-raising flour, vanilla extract and food coloring. First you make the batter and then you color the batter in the colors of the rainbow!
Do you want to make the rainbow cake extra special? Make a rainbow unicorn cake! Put a nice unicorn cake topper + eyelashes on it and the cake will look even cooler.
How to Make Frosting
Between the layers of cake, and on the sides + top, we spread buttercream frosting. You can make this buttercream with only powdered sugar and butter.
But to add extra flavor to the buttercream, to make it fluffier, and to make it look more beautiful white, we add some extra ingredients. What do we add to the buttercream? Aquafaba (= chickpea liquid), vanilla extract, salt and optional: a pinch of white and purple food coloring.
More baking ?! Making rainbow cupcakes is also super fun!
Cake Pan Conversion
In this recipe we use 3 cake pans of Ø15 cm / 6 inch. So we can bake 6 layers in two times and 8 layers in three times.
Do you have a different size cake pan? Then use this handy calculation tool:
Our recipe is for a round baking tin of Ø15 cm / 6 inch (see left column). If you have a round baking tin of Ø20 cm / 8 inch (see top row), multiply all ingredients by 1.78.
Inclusive Rainbow Flag
In this recipe we make an inclusive Pride flag; a rainbow with black and brown stripes on top. These layers represent inclusivity and diversity, unfortunately there is still a lot of inequality within the LGBTI + community.
You can of course choose in this recipe to use only the traditional rainbow colors. Then use the same numbers, but make 6 cakes instead of 8.
Check out more rainbow recipes on our website! We create 30 recipes, a recipe for every day of Pride Month. Together, we can make the world more colorful and accepting, from the kitchen. Help and share your creations through #rainbowrecipes!
Vegan Rainbow Cake Recipe
Cakes (6-8 cakes, cake pan Ø 15 cm / Ø 6 inch)
- 200 gram soft (vegan) butter ⅞ cup
- 400 gram sugar 2 cups
- 600 milliliter (vegetable) milk 2 ½ cups
- 800 gram self-raising flour 6 ⅜ cups
- 3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- food coloring (red, orangje, yellow, blue, purple, and optionally black) use cacao powder for the brown layer
- 200 gram egg whites or aquafaba (=chickpea liquid) at room temperature ⅞ cup
- 800 gram soft (vegan) butter 3 ½ cups
- 800 gram powdered sugar 4 cups
- 2 teaspoon vanila extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pinch of white and purple food coloring optional
- Preheat the oven to 170 °C / 340 °F.
- Mix the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the other cake ingredients (flour, milk, vanilla extract).
- Divide the batter between 6 or 8 bowls, depending on how many colors you are going to make. We make the inclusive rainbow flag colors with black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple.
- Color each container a color of the rainbow.With red, yellow and blue you can make orange, green and purple. Use cocoa powder for the brown layer.
- Grease your baking tin(s) (Ø 15 cm / Ø 6 inch) and pour one color batter into the baking tin. Bake the cakes in about 20-30 minutes. Stick a skewer in the cake, does it come out clean? Then your cake is ready.
- Time to make the frosting. Whisk the egg whites / aquafaba in a bowl until stiff.
- In another bowl, mix the butter until creamy. Add the powdered sugar in parts.
- Add vanilla extract, salt, food coloring and egg whites / aquafaba to the buttercream and mix until fluffy frosting.
Stack the rainbow layer cake
- Time to stack! Cut off the convex top of the cakes (easiest using a cake saw), so that we can make a stable pile. If necessary, also cut the harder, brown edges of the cake.
- Grab your frosting. Place the bottom layer (purple) on a flat plate and spread a generous layer of frosting on it. Place the next layer (blue) on the frosting layer. Press this briefly, so that the cake is straight. Spread the blue cake with frosting. Repeat this with all layers.
- If your last layer (black or red) is on the stack, press the cake well again. The frosting will come out a little on the sides, but that's good! Spread this on the sides. Spread an extra layer (not too thick) over the sides and top.
- Put the cake in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, so the buttercream hardens and your cake becomes firmer.
- Spread another layer of frosting on the side and top, so that you do not see any of the cakes anymore. You get the best result with thin layers (with a cooling period in between). Smooth the sides with a (glazing) knife.
- Fill a piping bag with the rest of the frosting and decorate the top of the cake with pretty swirls.
- Decorate the cake with sprinkles. We sprinkled the top and spooned sprinkled onto the bottom of the cake.
- Keep the cake in the refrigerator until you eat it. Enjoy!
PIN THIS RECIPE