Kanelbullar, sticky buns, cinnamon buns, and cinnamon rolls; isn’t it all the same? Not quite! It’s similar, that’s certainly true, but kanelbullar (the Swedish cinnamon rolls) are truly unique because of the cardamom flavor.
We have tasted a lot of kanebulle in Sweden and thought it was about time to make them ourselves – but an easy & fast version! Let make some puff pastry cinnamon rolls!
Fika: Swedish Coffee Break
To really enjoy your kanelbulle (plural: kanelbullar), you first need to understand the concept of fika. In Sweden, fika is taking a moment with colleagues, family, or friends to drink coffee and eat something sweet.
In the Netherlands we also know ‘coffee time’ as a pleasant moment between breakfast + lunch and / or between lunch + dinner.
A kanelbulle is one of the most famous fika snacks, let’s explain what it exactly is and what variants there are!
Kanelbullar and cardamombullar
There are cinnamon rolls (kanelbullar) and cardamom rolls (cardamom bullar). The cinnamon buns also contain cardamom, but no cinnamon is used for the cardamom buns. We are going for the cinnamon version in this recipe.
Cardamom is normally put in the dough of the cinnamon roll. But in this recipe, we don’t make the dough all by ourselves – that’s how we’re done quickly – with puff pastry!
Try this puff pastry palmier recipe!
Puff Pastry Cinnamon Rolls
We make these cinnamon rolls with a roll of fresh puff pastry. Do you eat vegan? Then buy vegan crescent dough.
Try these easy vegan cinnamon rolls with crescent dough!
It is very simple: you mix soft butter with sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, and a little flour into a nice mixture. You spread this over the puff pastry or croissant dough.
You fold ⅓ part of the dough inwards (along the length) and then fold ⅓ part over it. Then cut the dough into strings of about 2 centimeters / 0.8 inch with a pizza roller.
NOTE: Swedich cinnamon rolls are a lot less sweet than American cinnamon rolls. Add more sugar to your liking!
Then comes the best part: we are going to turn the strings in such a beautiful shape! Take a string and roll it, so that a twist is formed. Place the beginning of the twist on the counter and hold it with a finger.
With your other hand, twist the string around the beginning and hide the end under the cinnamon roll.
Brush the cinnamon rolls with soy milk or a beaten egg and bake them at 200 °C / 392 °F, in 15 minutes. Meanwhile, make pearl sugar by heating sugar with water in a pan and stirring in the meantime. Pour a nice cup of coffee and enjoy your puff pastry cinnamon rolls!
- 1 roll fresh puff pastry
- ½ cup soft butter or vegetable margarine (100 gram)
- ¼ cup sugar (50 gram)
- 2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon flour
- soy milk or beaten egg (optional)
- ¼ cup sugar (50 gram)
- 2 teaspoon water
- Preheat the oven to 390 °F / 200 °C.
- Mix the soft butter with the sugar, cardamom, cinnamon and flour.
- Roll out the puff pastry or crescent dough and brush with the butter mixture. Make sure the mixture is evenly spread
- Fold ⅓ of the puff pastry / crescent dough (lengthwise) inwards and fold the top ⅓ over the folded section.
- Cut strips of about 2 centimeters/ 0.8 inch with a pizza roller. Take a strip and turn it so that it forms a twist. Grab one side of the twist and secure it on the counter with one hand. With the other hand, turn the twist around the beginning and hide the end under the twisted cinnamon bun. Repeat this for all cinnamon rolls.
- Optional: brush the cinnamon rolls with soy milk or beaten egg.
- Bake the cinnamon rolls in about 15 minutes.
- While the cinnamon rolls are in the oven, we can make pearl sugar! Put a pan with the sugar and water on the stove and stir until the sugar has clumped. Remove the pearl sugar from the heat before it is discolored. Decorate the cinnamon rolls with pearl sugar. Enjoy your meal!
Also try our easy vegan cinnamon rolls with crescent dough!
As Amazon Associates and members of other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 152Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 99mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix
PIN THIS RECIPE