We can eat vegetarian stuffed bell peppers every week. And what’s great about this dish is that you can fill the peppers in many ways, just how you like it. And we have found the perfect flavor combinations for the tastiest vegetarian stuffed bell peppers (if we may say so ourselves!).
Fortunately, making stuffed peppers is not difficult at all, so read on and enjoy this vegetarian stuffed bell pepper recipe.
Vegetarian Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe
In this vegetarian stuffed bell pepper recipe, we fill the bell peppers with vegetarian minced meat, pine nuts, mushrooms, egg and grated cheese. And there is also garlic, onion, mustard, tomato paste and Italian herbs in these delicious stuffed bell peppers. It really is a stuffed bell pepper party of different flavors.
The pine nuts give the dish an extra bite and by not pre-baking the vegetarian mince, it will remain creamy. The grated cheese completes the stuffed peppers.
Stuffed Bell Peppers in Oven
We fry the onion, garlic and mushrooms before putting the peppers in the oven. The pine nuts are also briefly fried before we add all the ingredients together. All ingredients can be mixed and the peppers can be filled. In the middle we put a nice layer of cheese, and we cover the bell pepper with another layer of cheese.
Also very tasty: a portobello mushroom burger!
Vegetarian Minced Meat
We always buy the vegetarian minced meat from Lidl, because we think it is the best. It is the Next Level Meat from Lidl that we mean (they have vegetarian mince from another brand too). This vegetarian mince is vegan, and we find it super tasty.
You can of course also use other vegetarian minced meat for this vegetarian stuffed pepper recipe. Maybe you like another brand a little better.
Stuffed Peppers Vegan Recipe
This recipe is not vegan as we use an egg and cheese. If you are vegan or just want to eat vegan for an evening, replace the egg with some extra tomato paste or 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.
Also make sure to use vegan mustard, cheese and minced meat. Lidl’s Next Level Meat, for example, is vegan.
With these adjustments you have delicious vegan stuffed peppers!
Make sure to also try this vegan poke bowl recipe!
Vegetarian stuffed bell pepper recipe
- 4 bell peppers
- 250 gram mushrooms 2 cups
- 275 gram vegetarian minced meat 1 ⅕ cup
- 1 egg
- 1 onion
- 3 gloves garlic
- 50 gram pine nuts ⅓ cup
- 100 gram grated cheese ⅔ cup
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- salt & pepper optional
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (356 °F) and grease an oven dish so that you can put the peppers in it.
- Chop the onion, chop or crush the garlic and cut the mushrooms into small pieces. Heat a frying pan with oil and add the onion. Fry until the onion has turned translucent. Then add the garlic and mushrooms and let it fry for a while. Let the mixture cool.
- Heat a small frying pan (without oil or butter) and roast the pine nuts in it. Do not set the heat too high, as the pine nuts can burn very quickly. So keep an eye on them! The pine nuts are ready when they are slightly discolored.
- In the meantime, cut off the tops of the peppers and remove the seeds.
- Put the vegetarian minced meat, egg, pine nuts, mushroom mixture, mustard, tomato paste and Italian herbs in a bowl and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill half of each pepper with the mixture and then top it with a layer of grated cheese. Then fill the bell pepper until it is completely full and then add another layer of grated cheese. Place the stuffed peppers in the baking dish.
- When all the peppers are filled, put the dish in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes. You can also bake the top of the peppers.
PIN THIS RECIPE