Mushroom lovers beware! You must have eaten a portobello mushroom burger. Portobello mushrooms are perfect as a vegetarian burger because they have a meaty structure and are protein-rich meat substitutes.
Portobello mushrooms are not only perfect as a vegan burger, but they fill you up well too. So turn on that barbecue, contact grill or oven and let’s make this vegan portobello mushroom burger recipe!
This portobello recipe is tasty and easy to make. We use the following ingredients: hamburger buns, portobellos, red onion, cucumber, tomato, petal lettuce, vegan mayonnaise, and (homemade) guacamole. We marinate the portobellos in an oil mixture of garlic, pepper, salt, and Italian herbs.
What is Portobello?
Portobellos are mushrooms, but you probably use these giants less often than ‘regular’ mushrooms. That’s too bad because they’re super tasty. You can buy them all year round in the supermarket or at the greengrocer, and they are just huge mushrooms. They can have a diameter of 10-13 centimeters (3.9 – 5.1 inches)! Because they are so big, it’s half of your daily portion of vegetables. And because of the size, they are also perfect to fill.
As we said before, portobellos have a fleshy structure and are sturdy. Portobellos are brown and have a fairly neutral taste. This allows you to marinate to your own taste.
Cut off the stalk and clean the mushroom if there’s sand on it. Do this carefully with a brush or wipe clean with damp kitchen paper. Never wash the portobello with water, because the taste can be lost.
Always keep the portobellos in the fridge and do not place them with fruit or strong smelling vegetables. If you put portobellos on fruit, they’ll spoil faster. And if you put the portobellos on strong-smelling vegetables, they can absorb the smell. The portobellos can be stored in the fridge for about 5 to 7 days.
How to Prepare Portobellos
Marinate the portobello with a mixture of olive oil, garlic, pepper, salt, and Italian herbs. Leave for a moment to marinate. Of course, you can marinate the portobello how you like it best. We like it this way (it’s easy too).
You can grill the portobello on the barbecue, on a contact grill, in the oven at grill stand, or in a (grill) pan. Grill for about 4-5 minutes per side, so you’ll see nice grill stripes on the portobello.
Guacamole can, of course, be bought ready-made in the supermarket, but this Mexican sauce is also easy to make yourself. See in our guacamole recipe what you need and how to make healthy guacamole in 10 minutes.
- 4 vegan hamburger buns
- 4 portobellos
- 1 red onion
- ½ cucumber
- 1 tomato
- 4 leaves lettuce
- (homemade) guacamole
- vegan mayonnaise or ketchup
For the marinade
- 6 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- pepper & salt
- Italian herbs
- Press the garlic and mix with olive oil, pepper, salt, and Italian herbs. Brush the portobello mushrooms with the mixture and leave to marinate.
- Cut the cucumber and tomato into slices and the red onion into rings. Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the red onion.
- If you make homemade guacamole, make this tasty Mexican sauce now! See our guacamole recipe for easy (and tasty) guacamole.
- Grill the portobello mushrooms for 4-5 minutes on each side, until the portobello has nice grill stripes. You can grill the portobello on the barbecue, in a (grill) pan, with a contact grill or in the oven on the grill setting. With a contact grill and in the oven, you can halve the grilling time.
- In the meantime, halve the hamburger buns and place them briefly on the grill plate, so they become warm and crispy. You can also heat the hamburger buns in the oven.
- Time to make the hamburger! You can do this how you like it, but this is how we do it: spread the bottom bun with guacamole and put the tomato and portobello on top. Then the leaf of lettuce, the cucumber, and the onion. Coat the top bun with (vegan) mayonnaise or ketchup. If necessary, insert a skewer so that it does not fall apart. Enjoy your meal!
As Amazon Associates and members of other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 380Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 0mgSodium 469mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 4gSugar 8gProtein 8g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix
PIN THIS RECIPE