This vegan Dutch pancakes recipe is the easiest ever. These Dutch pancakes without egg and milk consist of only two ingredients. I was really skeptical about it at first: how can that ever taste good? But after I tasted a bite, I was sold. Absolutely just as delicious as a classic pancake recipe!
Making Dutch vegan pancakes has never been easier, this truly an easy vegan pancake recipe!
Vegan Pancake Batter
It is of course no problem to make vegan pancakes without milk: you replace regular milk with vegetable milk. But making pancakes without an egg? That seems more difficult, because something has to bind the pancake. Baking powder is often used instead of eggs in pancake batter. But we’ll let you in on a secret: you can also do it without baking powder!
This Dutch vegan pancakes recipe contains only vegetable milk and flour. And of course this is a basic recipe – you can always season your batter with salt, cinnamon and / or (vanilla) sugar. But even with 2 ingredients, these pancakes are super delicious. NOTE: these pancakes are more like crêpes, less like American pancakes!
Fortunately for us, there are many milk substitutes and therefore vegetable milk variants. Soy, almond, oats, rice, coconut, hazelnut, linseed, spelled, hemp, chestnut, quinoa, millet, macadamia, or a mix: there is milk of everything!
We have made this vegan Dutch pancakes recipe with unsweetened soy milk. If you want to make this recipe with other milk, you will have to pay close attention to how the milk absorbs the flour, so the proportions may need to be adjusted a bit (see more information in the recipe).
Good to know: lactose-free milk is not the same as vegetable milk. Lactose-free milk is therefore not necessarily vegan.
Do you just want to make pancakes without egg but with regular milk? Then see our Dutch pancakes no egg recipe. In that recipe we also tell you more about different egg substitutes.
Now you are all set to bake these delicious vegan pancakes! Have a tasty meal and enjoy this vegan Dutch pancakes recipe.
- 150 grams flour, 1 cup
- 400 milliliters (unsweetened) vegetable milk*, 1 ¾ cup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Sift the flour to prevent lumps in the batter.
- Mix the flour, vegetable milk and optionally the cinnamon till you get a nice smooth batter. Are there still a few lumps in it? Doesn't matter, you won't taste anything later.
- Depending on the type of milk you are using, the batter may be thicker or thinner than you like. Is the batter too thick? Add water until the batter is as thin as you want. Is your batter too thin? Add some flour.
- Time to bake! Heat a knob of vegan butter (lactose-free margarine for example) or oil in a frying pan, wait until the pan is warm and fry the pancakes until golden brown on medium heat.
* do you make the pancakes with coconut milk? Yummy; we can recommend that! Then use 150 ml coconut milk and 250 ml water, otherwise the batter will not be too thick.
Serve the pancakes with icing sugar, syrup, (heated) fruit, jam - or other deliciously sweet vegan toppings. You can also top your vegan pancake with savory toppings like hummus, nut butter, vegetable filling and / or mushrooms!
PIN THIS ARTICLE