Who wouldn’t want to drink a tasty rainbow slushie for hot summer days?! We tell you exactly how to make a slushie, but also how to make a slushie with a smart trick. And we share a frozen vodka drink option with you for the grownups!
With our rainbow recipes we try to make the world a little more colorful and accepting from the kitchen! Will you help? Share your creations via #rainbowrecipes.
How to Make a Slushie?
You can make a slushie several ways. The easiest way is to mix ice cubes with some syrup in a strong blender.
But you can also pour lemonade in a cup, put it in the freezer and stir every 30 minutes. Within a few hours (depending on the temperature of your freezer) you have a slushie!
And then there is another way: mash ice popsicles into a slushie! Or simply toss them in a blender.
In this recipe, we use fruity ice pops that we crush into slush. We stack these in a glass and tada! You have a rainbow slush puppy. Because the ice pops are only available in 4 colors in the Netherlands, we make a blue and purple slush layer with blue sport drink and blueberry lemonade. We pour the drinks into cups and stir them every 30 minutes. After a few hours we have slushies!
And then there is another option: buy a complete slushie maker! It’s not quite the same as an ice cream maker because it makes shaved ice. Pour some syrup over the shaved ice and your slush puppy is ready.
Make it a frozen vodka drink by pouring a shot of ice-cold vodka over your rainbow slushie! Or mix a shot of blue curacao with ice cubes in a blender for the blue layer. Also check out our recipe for a color-changing frozen cocktail.
Serve your slush puppy with a reusable straw, cheers!
Check out more rainbow recipes on our website! We create 30 recipes, a recipe for every day of Pride Month. Together, we can make the world more colorful and accepting, from the kitchen. Help and share your creations through #rainbowrecipes!
Rainbow Slushie Recipe
- 1 pack rainbow ice pops
- 1 cup powdered sugar about 110 grams
- nonpareils sprinkles
- In the Netherlands we couldn't find ice pops in all colors of the rainbow. We did find rainbow ice pops online. But no worries, you can make slushie by making lemonade in the colors you still need (we used blue sport drink and blueberry lemonade), put the cups in the freezer and stir every 30 minutes. In a couple of hours (depending on the temperature of your freezer) your slush is ready! Or simply blend ice cubes with colored syrup.
- Do you want to make fun sprinkle-rimmed glasses? Mix powdered sugar with a tablespoon of water, so that you get a nice glaze. Make sure your bowl is wide enough to fit the rim of the glass. Add nonpareils in another bowl. Dip the rim of the glass in the glaze first, let it drip a little. Then dip the rim into the nonpareils. Put the glasses in the fridge (or freezer) for a while to harden. Repeat for the second and third glass.
- Grab the ice pops. We are going to crush the popsicles of the same color. Start with the bottom layer (purple). Mash the ice creams into a slush with a fork (in a bowl). Take the sprinkle rimmed glasses from the fridge/freezer, scoop a purple layer in the two glasses and put the glasses in the freezer. Then mash the blue ice pops, scoop over the purple layer, and repeat all steps with the green, yellow, orange, and red layer.
- Serve your rainbow slushie with a reusable straw. Cheers!
PIN THIS RECIPE