This quick and easy fried apple rings recipe is really great! It is always a party when we bake vegan apple fritters.
We Dutchies usually eat these fried apple rings (aka apple beignets) around New Year’s, but you can absolutely eat them all year round (that’s what we do, too!).
Our vegan apple fritters recipe is easy to adjust, we included some variation options in this recipe! This is one of our favorite apple recipes.
Fun fact: it can be other fruit too, for example pineapple slices. Or banana fritters – they’re just shaped differently!
Dutch Fried Apple Rings Recipe
What do you need for this fried apple rings recipe? And how do you make them? We are going to tell you all!
Get 3 sweet and sour apples, self-raising flour, sugar, cinnamon, and sunflower oil. You also need (sparkling) water, non-dairy milk, or vegan beer.
Vegan Apple Rings with Beer or without
Beer makes your batter fluffier, gives the batter an extra flavor, and ensures that the crust is nice and crispy.
Use a beer with a high fermentation (dark beer). Alcohol evaporates from 170 °F (78 °C), so there is only a little alcohol in the final beignets.
You can also use water or plant milk instead of beer. Sparkling water will make your batter fluffier too!
Combine Dutch oliebollen and apple beignets for a double party. See our Dutch donuts (oliebollen) recipe for the tastiest Dutch oliebollen.
How to Make Apple Rings?
Mix all ingredients together and then put the apple rings through the batter! Then the apple beignets can be fried or baked. It’s really not difficult. And you have delicious homemade apple rings as a result.
Have you tried our vegan apple pie recipe yet?!
Vegan Apple Fritters Recipe
You can fry the vegan apple fritters in a deep fryer or in a pan on the fire. We do not have a deep fryer, so we use a normal pan with oil.
But if you have a deep fryer, this is certainly useful since you can set the temperature in a deep fryer.
The oil in which you bake should be around 356 °F (180 °C). Do not fry the apple fritters in frying fat, but in sunflower oil.
Heating oil yourself in a pan is slightly more difficult than in a deep fryer because it is more difficult to regulate the temperature.
Use a kitchen thermometer or a piece of bread to estimate the temperature. At 356 °F (180 °C), a piece of bread is crispy, golden brown within 15 seconds, and does not absorb too much oil.
If the oil cools quickly during frying, fry fewer apple fritters in the pan at a time. Then the oil cools less quickly.
You need about 1-2 liters / 4-8 cups of sunflower oil.
Try our yummy apple turnover recipe!
Baked Apple Fritters: Air Fryer or Oven
You can make baked apple fritters in an air fryer or oven! It might be a little messier, but there is less smell, and it’s a healthier snack (with less oil).
You need some small ovenproof dishes – big enough to fit an apple ring, small enough to fit in the air fryer. Something like small cake pans. In oven, it obviously fits more easily.
Grease the cake pans and insert the battered apple ring. Bake the baked apple fritters for about 8 minutes at 340 °F / 170 °C.
How to Store Apple Fritters
How long can you store apple fritters? Let the apple rings cool and then put them in an airtight container.
Keep them out of the fridge, and you can keep the apple beignets for about 2 days. The apple fritters are of course the best fresh!
Freezing apple rings is possible, but the apple rings will become very mushy. Store them in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Apple beignets are best warmed up in the oven. Preheat the oven to 390 °F (200 °C). After 10 minutes the apple beignets are heated and ready to eat!
Reheat Fried Apple Rings
You can reheat these vegan apple fritters best in the oven. Set the oven to 390 °F / 200 °C and reheat the apple rings for 10 minutes.
Enjoy this vegan apple fritters recipe!
- 3 apples
- 1 cup of self-raising flour (125 grams / 4.4 ounces) (or 1 cup of flour and 1 teaspoon baking powder)
- ¾ cup beer* or (sparkling) water or vegetable milk
- 5 tablespoon sugar
- 3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4-8 cups of sunflower oil (for frying)
- Mix the self-raising flour, beer or water or milk, sugar and cinnamon.
- Make apple rings. Core the apple with an apple corer, peel and slice the apple. We get about 5 rings from 1 apple.
- Pat the apple rings dry with kitchen paper.
- Heat the oil in a wok (or turn on your deep fryer). Your oil should be 360 °F / 180 °C. Use a kitchen thermometer for this, or use a piece of bread to estimate the temperature. At 360 °F / 180 °C, a piece of bread is crispy and golden brown in 15 seconds.
- Grab a fork and prick it in an apple slice. Run the apple through the batter, the batter may slip off if the apple is still too wet. Sprinkle the slices with some cinnamon, optionally.
- Then carefully slide the apple ring into the oil (use a second fork if necessary).
- Fry the apple fritters for 4-6 minutes until golden brown. Turn them halfway. Do not fry too many apple fritters at once.
- Serve the fried apple rings with icing sugar or more cinnamon sugar if desired!
* beer makes your batter lighter. Use a beer with a high fermentation (dark beer).
Alcohol evaporates from 170 °F (78 °C), so there is little alcohol in the final apple fritters.
You can also use Dutch donuts (oliebollen) batter for fried apple rings! Use our easy Dutch donuts (oliebollen) recipe for this.
Vary! Use pineapple slices instead of apple!
PIN THIS RECIPE