Sushi lovers: pay attention! Making your own sushi has never been so much fun. This is one of the best sushi recipes (if we may say so ourselves!). We are going to tell you how to make rainbow sushi donuts. From this sushi recipe, you can also make a rainbow sushi bowl or go for traditional sushi.
We color the sushi rice in 3 different colors (yellow, purple and blue) with super food powder. Instead of this powder, you can also color the sushi rice with turmeric powder, red cabbage juice and red cabbage juice with a pinch of baking soda. We make the other colors of the rainbow with different types and colored vegetables! Read on quickly.
With our rainbow recipes we try to make the world a little more colorful and accepting from the kitchen! Will you help? Share your creations via #rainbowrecipes.
How to Boil Sushi Rice
The ingredient that cannot be missing when making sushi is rice! Sushi shouldn’t even be called sushi without rice. Cooking sushi rice yourself is not very easy. The rice must be sticky so that it does not fall apart, but it should also not be too sticky. A rice cooker makes it easy to cook the rice perfectly, but if you don’t have it, it can also be cooked in a pan on the stove.
You can buy sushi rice in most supermarkets. Or visit an Asian supermarket!
The first step of this recipe is to cook sushi rice. Bring 250 grams of sushi rice (1 cup) to boil with 350 milliliters of water (1.5 cup). Reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes with a lid on the pan. Remove from the heat and leave the lid on the pan for 15 minutes (only take the lid off after 15 minutes, so do not take a look in between!).
After cooking, it is important to season the sushi rice with rice vinegar. Rice vinegar makes the sushi! Fun fact: sushi even means vinegar rice. And not raw fish, which many people think.
Sushi is often made with raw fish, but this is certainly not a requirement of sushi! The sushi rice and rice vinegar is what makes sushi, sushi. The great thing is that you can add the ingredients that you like when you make sushi yourself. We don’t eat fish, so we left the fish out of this recipe. However, if you do eat fish yourself, you can add salmon or tuna, for example.
Sushi is often rolled in nori seaweed sheets. Because we make sushi donuts, we put them on the nori seaweed sheets. Nori sheets are super healthy. They contain a lot of vitamins and minerals. If you don’t like these seaweed sheets, you can just leave them out.
This recipe is completely vegan! Making vegan sushi yourself is not difficult and there are also more and more sushi restaurants that are completely vegan. For example the Vegan Sushi Bar in Amsterdam!
When the sushi is cooked we will color it! But before you color the sushi, decide how you will do it. We use superfood powder from The Organic Lab (butterly pea for blue, purple sweet potato for purple and turmeric for yellow). For blue, you can also use blue spirulina powder.
You don’t necessarily need these superfood powders, because you can also color the rice with turmeric powder from a jar from the supermarket and red cabbage juice (with a pinch of baking soda for blue). Or you use artificial food coloring.
Mix the turmeric powder with 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar. Mix the purple powder (or reduced red cabbage juice) with 1 tbsp rice vinegar. Mix the blue butterfly pea powder (or reduced red cabbage juice with a pinch of baking soda) with 1 tbsp water.
Do you use blue spirulina powder? Mix it with 1 tbsp rice vinegar. Butterfly pea and red cabbage cannot be mixed with vinegar as it will turn purple.
Divide the rice between 3 trays and color each tray a color (yellow, blue, purple).
Make sure you have a donut mold that you can fill with the three colors of rice. Make sure the mold is first greased with oil. Press the rice with wet hands, so that the whole shape is well filled! If you have dry hands, the rice will stick to your fingers. Place the baking tin in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Then we put the rice donuts on nori squares and top them with vegetables and other toppings!
Make A Sushi Bowl
You can also make a sushi bowl or poke bowl instead of sushi donuts! See our poke bowl recipe on how to do this. Add fish to the sushi bowl / poke bowl if you like it!
Many people think that sashimi is sushi, but it is not. Sashimi is thinly sliced raw and fresh fish, such as salmon or tuna. Sashimi is served without rice so no sushi!
Check out more rainbow recipes on our website! We create 30 recipes, a recipe for every day of Pride Month. Together, we can make the world more colorful and accepting, from the kitchen. Help and share your creations through #rainbowrecipes!
Rainbow Sushi Donuts
- 250 gram sushi rice 1 cup
- 350 milliliter water 1 ½ cup
- 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon purple sweet potato powder or reduced red cabbage juice
- ½ teaspoon butterfly pea or blue spirulina powder or reduced red cabbage juice with a pinch of baking soda
- ½ cucumber
- ½ carrot
- ½ red bell pepper optional: roasted
- 3 radishes
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 nori sheets
- soy sauce to dip
- wasabi paste optional
- Bring 250 grams of sushi rice (1 cup) to boil with 350 ml of water (1 ½ cup). Reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes with a lid on the pan. Remove from the heat and leave the lid on the pan for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the colors. Mix the turmeric powder with 1 tbsp rice vinegar. Mix the purple powder with 1 tbsp rice vinegar. Mix the blue butterfly pea powder (or reduced red cabbage juice with a pinch of baking soda) with 1 tbsp water. Do you use blue spirulina powder? Mix with 1 tbsp rice vinegar. Butterfly pea and red cabbage cannot be mixed with vinegar, because then it will turn purple.
- Divide the rice between 3 trays and color each tray a color (yellow, blue, purple).
- Grease the donuts shape with oil and fill the shapes with three colors of rice. Wet your hands a little and press the rice well, so that the whole shape is nicely filled. Place the baking tin in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the vegetables. Peel the carrot and use your paring knife (or cheese slicer) to cut the carrot into thin strips. Peel the cucumber this way too. Place the strips in a deep plate and pour hot water over them so that the strands become softer.We use mini cutters to make fun vegetable shapes from the (grilled) bell pepper. You can peel the radishes, so that you get a long pink skin (like you do with an apple). We also made nice shapes from the inside of the radish.Cut the avocado in nice thin slices.
- Fold and tear 2 nori sheets to make 8 squares. Remove the rice donuts from the refrigerator and turn them upside down on the (clean) counter top.The rice donuts should fall out easily. Otherwise, you might need to tap on the baking tin. Place the rice donuts on a nori square.
- Top the sushi donuts with your vegetables and toppings. Serve with wasabi pasta and / or soy sauce. Enjoy your meal!
PIN THIS RECIPE