Normally we only eat marshmallows during a warm summer night by a campfire. Grilling marshmallows together without them getting too burnt (is quite an art). But making this cute marshmallow treat is fun all year round. And also super tasty! Extra fun as a treat, as a snack for a birthday or during Pride.
In this marshmallow recipe we tell you exactly how to make these colored marshmallows yourself. We are not going to make the marshmallows all by ourselves, so buy them in the supermarket. If you would like do make them, try this vegan marshmallow recipe! We will color the marshmallows ourselves with sugar and coconut.
With our rainbow recipes we try to make the world a little more colorful and accepting from the kitchen! Will you help? Share your creations via #rainbowrecipes.
The supermarket you often won’t find vegan marshmallows. But you can order online! For example, these Dandies vegan marshmallows. If you buy those and have vegan food coloring (or superfood powders), this rainbow treat is completely vegan.
Technically, marshmallows are also not vegetarian, because they contain gelatin. Gelatin is extracted from the skin and bones of animals. It is a binder that you can find in many sweets, but also in desserts, puddings, beer and medicines, for example. As a vegetarian you can of course decide for yourself whether to eat gelatin.
Are you looking for sugar-free marshmallows? Brands like La Nouba sell sugar-free marshmallows.
In this recipe, we share two ways to make rainbow marshmallows, 1 with sugar and 1 with coconut. Go for the coconut option if you want to make the rainbow marshmallows without sugar!
What do you need to make rainbow marshmallows? Marshmallows, sugar or desiccated coconut and food coloring. Plus a bowl of water and skewers. Choose whether you want to make them with sugar or coconut. Both are also possible! We like both options (and both look fantastic).
We use a pinch of gel coloring, but you can also use a few drops of liquid dye. Or a drop of water in combination with natural superfood powders. Just what you like best, or what you have at home!
This marshmallow treat is a super fun rainbow treat! You bet everyone will smile when they see these rainbow marshmallows. It is also not difficult to make this treat, it’s made within 20 minutes (the marshmallows only have to dry afterwards).
Looking for other fun and easy treats? Take a look at our rainbow popcorn recipe!
Check out more rainbow recipes on our website! We create 30 recipes, a recipe for every day of Pride Month.
Together, we can make the world more colorful and accepting, from the kitchen. Help and share your creations through #rainbowrecipes!
Cute Marshmallow Treat
- 1 pack (vegan) marshmallows ca 300 grams / 10.6 oz
- 350 gram sugar (ca. 21 tbsp) or desiccated coconut
- food coloring
- little bowl water
- 7 skewers
- We first make our colored sugar (or desiccated coconut)! Mix 3.5 tablespoons of sugar or coconut grater with 1 color in a closed jar. We use a pinch of gel dye, but you can also use a few drops of liquid food coloring. Or a drop of water in combination with natural superfood powders. Repeat with all 6 colors of the rainbow (purple, blue, green, yellow, orange and red) and pour the sugar / desiccated coconut over separate bowls.With the colors red, yellow and blue you can mix orange, green and purple!
- Prick a marshmallow on a skewer and dip it in a cup / bowl of water. Let it drain for a second.
- Spoon the colored sugar / coconut grater over the marshmallow with a spoon until it is completely colored. Then place the marshmallow (without skewer) on a baking sheet to dry. Make 7 colored marshmallows of any color. Repeat with all 6 colors.
- Let the marshmallows dry for at least an hour. Then take 7 skewers, grease them a little with oil (makes it easier to prick) and prick all 6 colors on a stick. And your marshmallow treat is ready!
PIN THIS RECIPE