Who doesn’t love a grilled cheese sandwich? We love toasted sandwiches so much so of course we had to make a rainbow grilled cheese sandwich! You bet that every child (and secretly also an adult) will be happy with this rainbow sandwich. And as it turns out, it is not at all difficult to make this sandwich. Great for a birthday or as a super colorful breakfast or lunch.
For this sandwich recipe you need: grated cheese, white bread and food coloring. Plus a contact grill or frying pan (then you will also need butter). Are you ready for this happy sandwich? Then read on!
With our rainbow recipes we try to make the world a little more colorful and accepting, from the kitchen! Will you help? Share your creations through #rainbowrecipes.
Make a sandwich
We all sometimes make a toasted sandwich with (vegetarian) ham and cheese, but there are so many other tasty and fun sandwich recipes. Like this rainbow sandwich recipe for example. We ourselves always use a contact grill to make grilled sandwiches. But you can also fry your sandwich in a pan.
When you fry your sandwich in a pan, put enough butter in the pan and / or spread butter on the outside of your sandwich. Fry the sandwich for a few minutes until it turns golden brown. Turn over and fry the other side until golden brown. When both sides are golden brown and the cheese has melted, the sandwich is ready!
Vegan Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Use vegan cheese (grated) for this grilled cheese sandwich. Or make a nutritional yeast cashew paste! Also make sure you use vegan white bread and vegan food coloring.
For 1 rainbow sandwich you need at least 60 grams (2.1 oz) grated cheese, 10 grams (0.35 oz) per color. Divide the grated cheese over 6 bowls in equal portions.
Add a bit of coloring in the colors of the rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple) to the different bowls. Mix the grated cheese and the coloring together until the cheese is colored well. Do this with a spoon.
Do you only have red, yellow, and blue colors? You can make orange by mixing red and yellow. Mix yellow and blue to get green. You get purple by mixing red and blue.
When all the grated cheese is colored, you can top a slice of white bread. First make a row of red, then orange, yellow, green, blue, and finally purple. Add the other slice of bread and grill!
Check out more rainbow recipes on our website! We create 30 recipes, a recipe for every day of Pride Month. Together, we can make the world more colorful and accepting, from the kitchen. Help and share your creations through #rainbowrecipes!
Rainbow Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 60 gram grated cheese (2.1 oz)
- 2 slices white bread
- food coloring
- Divide the grated cheese over 6 different bowls.
- Add a bit of food coloring (red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple) to the different bowls. So that each tray has a different color. Mix the grated cheese and the coloring together until the cheese is nicely colorful.Do you only have red, yellow and blue? Make orange from red + yellow. Green from yellow + blue. Purple of red + blue.
- Now it is time to cover a slice of white bread. First make a row of red, then orange, yellow, green, blue and finally purple. Place the other slice of bread on top and grill!
- Put the sandwiches in a contact grill or in a pan with butter. A contact grill is easiest. Grill the sandwich for a few minutes, when the sandwich is golden brown and the cheese has melted, it is ready.If you do not have a contact grill, a pan is also fine. Make sure there is enough butter in the pan (or brush your sandwich on the outside with butter). Fry the sandwich for a few minutes, until golden brown. Turn over and fry the other side until golden brown. When both sides are golden brown and the cheese has melted, the sandwich is ready!
PIN THIS RECIPE