This quick and easy apple beignets recipe (without yeast) is really great! It is always a party when we start baking apple beignets.
We Dutchies usually eat apple beignets around New Year’s, but you can absolutely eat them all year round (that’s what we do too!). Combine making Dutch oliebollen and apple beignets for a double party. See our Dutch donuts (oliebollen) recipe for the tastiest Dutch oliebollen.
Our apple beignets recipe is easy to adjust, so you can easily make vegan beignets if you want! This is one of our favorite apple recipes. Or vary with pineapple slices instead of apple.
Dutch Apple Beignets Recipe
What do you need for this apple beignets recipe? And how do you make them? We are going to tell you all! Get 3 sweet and sour apples, self-raising flour, sugar, cinnamon, and sunflower oil. You also need beer, water, or milk.
Beer makes your batter fluffier, gives the batter an extra flavor, and ensures that the crust is nice and crispy. Use a beer with a high fermentation (dark beer). Alcohol evaporates from 170 °F (78 °C), so there is only a little alcohol in the final beignets.
You can also use water or milk instead of beer.
How to Make Beignets?
Mix all ingredients together and then put the apple rings through the batter! Then the apple beignets can be baked. It’s really not difficult. And you have delicious homemade beignets as result.
Apple Beignets Recipe
You can fry the apple beignets in a deep fryer or in a pan on the fire. We do not have a deep fryer, so we use a normal pan with oil. But if you have a deep fryer, this is certainly useful since you can set the temperature in a deep fryer.
The oil in which you bake should be around 356 °F (180 °C). Do not fry the apple fritters in frying fat, but in sunflower oil.
Heating oil yourself in a pan is slightly more difficult than in a deep fryer because it is more difficult to regulate the temperature. Use a kitchen thermometer or a piece of bread to estimate the temperature. At 356 °F (180 °C), a piece of bread is crispy, golden brown within 15 seconds, and does not absorb too much oil.
If the oil cools quickly during frying, fry fewer apple fritters in the pan at a time. Then the oil cools less quickly.
You need about 1-2 liters / 4-8 cups of sunflower oil.
Apple beignets are very easy to make vegan. Use vegan beer, water or vegetable milk and you have vegan beignets!
Storing Apple Beignets
How long can you store apple beignets? Let the apple beignets cool and then put them in an airtight container. Keep them out of the fridge, and you can keep the apple beignets for about 2 days. The apple beignets are of course the best fresh!
Freezing apple beignets is possible, but the apple beignets will become very smushy. Store them in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Apple beignets are best warmed up in the oven. Preheat the oven to 390 °F (200 °C). After 10 minutes the apple beignets are heated and ready to eat!
Enjoy this apple beignets recipe!
- 3 sweet and sour apples
- 1 cup of self-raising flour (125 grams) (or 1 cup of flour and 1 tsp baking powder)
- 5.75 ounces beer*/water/vegetable milk
- 5 tbsp sugar
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 liters of sunflower oil (for baking)
- Mix the self-raising flour, beer / water / milk, sugar and cinnamon together.
- Core the apple with an apple corer, peel and slice the apple (so that you get rings). We get about 5 rings from 1 apple.
- Pat the apple slices dry with kitchen paper.
- Heat the oil in a wok (or turn on your deep fryer). Your oil should be 356 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius). Use a kitchen thermometer for this, or use a piece of bread to estimate the temperature. At 356 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius), a piece of bread is crispy and golden brown within 15 seconds.
- Grab a fork and prick it in an apple slice. Run the apple through the batter, the batter may slip off if the apple is still too wet. Sprinkle the slices with some cinnamon optionally.
- Then carefully slide the apple slice into the oil (use a second fork if necessary).
- Fry the beignets for 4-6 minutes until golden brown. Turn them halfway. Do not cook too many fritters at once.
- Serve the apple beignets with icing sugar or more cinnamon sugar if desired!
* beer makes your batter lighter. Use a beer with a high fermentation (dark beer).
Alcohol evaporates from 170 degrees Fahrenheit (78 degrees Celsius), so there is little alcohol in the final apple beignets.
You can also use Dutch donuts (oliebollen) batter for apple beignets! Use our easy Dutch donuts (oliebollen) recipe for this.
Vary! Use pineapple slices instead of apple!
PIN THIS RECIPE