Did the world need another crazy viral TikTok trend? Absolutely! Pancake cereal are mini pancakes that you eat for breakfast.
It’s actually very easy: you make an American pancake recipe, put it in a squeeze bottle and drip the batter into a frying pan.
We will tell you all about this food trend and share the tastiest vegan pancake cereal recipe with you. You can also use this recipe for regular American pancakes!
What is Pancake Cereal?
Actually, pancake cereal is American pancakes but mini. Don’t use European pancake batter for this recipe!
American pancake batter is thicker and contains baking powder, which is why the pancakes are higher and airier than European pancakes.
Pancake cereal should not be confused with cereal pancake: that’s American pancake with colorful cereal bits!
The Difference With Mini Dutch Pancakes
When I saw this Tiktok food trend come along, I thought: these are just poffertjes, right? So I went looking for the inventor of pancake cereal.
And that’s Sydney Melhoff! On April 21, 2020, she shared this video with the text “Pancake dip n dots ? This was a joke but actually tasted amazing #breakfast #pancake #tiktokdiy #positivevibes #cooking #keepingbusy #passover”
Sydney’s video (or well, her recipe and #pancakecereal) went viral! Even the big IHOP in America is working to make it a cereal-line. And there are now also waffle trends based on this pancake cereal, then you don’t get circles, but squares.
The big difference between mini Dutch pancakes (poffertjes) and pancake cereal is the size and how you eat it. Officially, the batter is also different, because authentic mini Dutch pancakes are made with buckwheat flour and yeast.
But there are a lot of Dutch poffertjes recipes without yeast that look very much like American pancake recipes, so that’s not even the big difference.
How Do You Eat Pancake Cereal?
You eat pancake cereal for breakfast, in a bowl! As with regular cereal, you can pour milk over it and syrup. Use maple syrup to make it extra American.
But you can also add sprinkles to it. Or a knob of butter and icing sugar, as you do with mini Dutch pancakes. You can really put your own spin to it!
Or make it healthier and eat it with fruit!
Pancake Cereal: What Do You Need?
You don’t need much to make this recipe!
- American pancake batter (can be made with just flour, baking powder and (vegetable) milk).
- Bowl to mix the batter in.
- Squeeze bottle or a plastic bag that you put the batter in and then cut off a tip.
- Frying pan or crêpe pan (with non-stick layer is recommended).
- Oil or (vegan) butter to bake in.
Officially, American pancakes are made on a plate that is equally hot everywhere.
- 1 cup flour (120 gram)
- ½ packet baking powder (8 grams) or 2½ teaspoon
- 1 cup vegetable milk (240 milliliters)
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or sugar (optional)
- oil or vegan butter
- Mix all ingredients with a hand mixer to a smooth batter.
- Let the batter rest for 5 minutes, so the baking powder will do its job. The batter will start to bubble.
- Heat a frying pan on the stove with oil or butter. For pancake cereal, pour the batter into a squeeze bottle. For regular American pancakes you work with a spoon.
Cooking pancake cereal
- With a squeeze bottle, you with drop drops of batter into the pan. Work from the outside inwards in a spiral shape.
- This pancake cereal is very small, you should really 'drip' it into the pan. Turn them over after a minute, or as soon as the top is dry.
- Serve the pancake cereal in a bowl with maple syrup, a knob of butter and / or milk. Or make it a healthier breakfast and serve with fruit. Enjoy your meal!
Cooking American Pancakes
- Pour three piles of batter into your pan with a spoon. Once the top dries and has bubbles, turn over the pancakes. Bake all the batter like this. Serve a stack of pancakes with maple syrup and a knob of vegan butter. Enjoy your meal!
Make Dutch poffertjes (without yeast) by replacing half of the flour with buckwheat flour and cooking the mini Dutch pancakes in a poffertjes pan or on a takoyaki grill.
As Amazon Associates and members of other affiliate programs, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving Calories 494Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 25mgSodium 203mgCarbohydrates 74gFiber 6gSugar 17gProtein 13g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix
PIN THIS RECIPE