Have you ever eaten fresh spring rolls? Fresh Vietnamese spring rolls are super tasty and healthy! This rainbow spring rolls recipe is gluten-free, vegan and packed with vitamins. Perfect for lunch or for a light dinner. They are often served with fish sauce, but we make a tasty Vietnamese peanut sauce with it, so we also get a good portion of protein.
With our rainbow recipes we try to make the world a little more colorful and accepting from the kitchen! Will you help? Share your creations via #rainbowrecipes.
Fresh Vegan & Gluten-Free Spring Rolls
In the Netherlands we do not think of ‘fresh spring rolls’ as ‘Vietnamese spring roll’. But this version is clearly more present in Vietnam itself! Traditionally, there are often shrimps in it, but of course we make a veggie/vegan version.
You can vary endlessly with the ingredients of these spring rolls, but of course we will make it a rainbow party! This is not only fun, it is also healthy. The more colors of vegetables you eat, the more variety you eat. And variety is healthy!
We use rice paper, rice vermicelli, red bell pepper, carrot, yellow bell pepper, mango, cucumber, spring onion, mint and red cabbage! Coriander/cilantro is another commonly used herb, but we are not fans of cilantro. You can also add a leaf of lettuce to each spring roll to make rolling easier.
You can color your vermicelli blue with the cooking liquid of the red cabbage. Boil the red cabbage for 1 minute, drain the cooking liquid and add a pinch of baking soda. The water will turn blue! Boil your vermicelli in this cooking liquid (add more water if necessary).
The trick is to cut all your ingredients as thinly as possible so you can roll tight and your rice sheet won’t tear. You must first dip your rice sheet in warm water so it softens. Rolling up is easiest if you first put a leaf of lettuce on your rice sheet. We made the spring rolls without lettuce. Then top your spring roll with the vegetables you like. Make variations by adding different herbs to different spring rolls and varying with mango and yellow bell pepper.
Vietnamese Peanut Sauce
Mix 8 tbsp peanut butter (or other nut butter), 4 tsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp hoisin sauce, 1 tsp sriracha sauce, 2 cloves of minced garlic and add warm water until you reach the desired consistency. Super easy and very tasty!
Check out more rainbow recipes on our website! We create 30 recipes, a recipe for every day of Pride Month. Together, we can make the world more colorful and accepting, from the kitchen. Help and share your creations through #rainbowrecipes!
Rainbow Spring Rolls With Vietnamese Peanut Sauce
- 1 pack rice paper
- 1 pack rice vermicelli
- 2 red bell peppers
- 3 carrots julienned
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 10 mango chunks
- 1 cucumber
- 300 grams cut red cabbage + pinch of baking soda
- 10 leaves lettuce optional
- 3 spring onion
Vietnamese Peanut Sauce
- 8 tablespoon peanut butter
- 4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 2-4 tablespoon hot water
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Make sure that all your ingredients are nicely thinly cut and within easy reach. This will make rolling easier.
- Boil the red cabbage for 1 minute and collect the colored cooking liquid. Add a bit of baking soda to the water so that it turns blue. Boil your vermicelli in this water (add more water if it is not enough). There, you have blue noodles!
- Grab a large bowl or skillet (larger than your rice paper) and fill it with warm water. Dip a sheet of rice paper in the warm water for a few seconds, until it softens. Place the rice paper on a flat plate (note: this sheet is very sticky).
- Fill the fresh spring roll with the ingredients in all colors of the rainbow. A leaf of lettuce helps to roll more tightly.Make each spring roll taste different by adding different herbs to each spring roll. And vary with mango and yellow bell pepper.
- Roll the spring roll as tightly as possible. Be careful not to tear it. First lay the side over the ingredients, then fold the bottom and top inwards and then roll up the spring roll. Repeat for the other rice sheets.
- Then cut the spring rolls in half and place them on a plate. Serve with Vietnamese peanut sauce, enjoy!
Vietnamese peanut sauce
- Make the peanut sauce by mixing all the ingredients together. Depending on the thickness of your peanut butter, you may need to add a little more water to make it a smooth dipping sauce.
PIN THIS RECIPE